Kawasaki disease is a rare condition that mainly affects children under the age of five. The characteristic symptoms are a high temperature that lasts for more than five days, with:
- a rash
- swollen glands in the neck
- dry cracked lips
- red fingers or toes
- red eyes
It is thought that Kawasaki disease is caused by an infection, although the exact cause is not fully understood.
Kawasaki disease causes the blood vessels to become inflamed and swollen, which can lead to complications in the coronary arteries (the blood vessels that supply blood to the heart).
Up to 5% of children with Kawasaki disease experience complications with their heart. In about 1% of cases , the complications can be fatal. Because of this, the condition has become the leading cause of acquired heart disease in the UK.
Kawasaki Disease Research Collaboration:
A unique team, led by Professor Jane C. Burns, MD ( Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego USA ) and Professor Michael Levin ( Imperial College London) have combined the research expertise of two world leading research groups with long term commitment to research on Kawasaki disease.
Through a collaborative program of work they aim to:
- discover the cause of Kawasaki Disease
- develop a diagnostic test
- understand the genetic basis of Kawasaki Disease
- develop new treatments.
Efforts to advance Kawasaki Disease research will now go twice as far thanks to the Gordon and Marilyn Macklin Foundation. The Macklin Foundation has given The Kawasaki research collaboration an incredible opportunity to rapidly advance Kawasaki Disease research by matching gifts dollar for dollar up to $2.5 million!
COSMIC is supporting the research and has agreed to coordinate the Kawasaki specific fundraising for this exciting project.
If you wish to make a donation you can do so at COSMIC’s Kawasaki Disease Research fundraising page here
Help us raise awareness and funds to support important research into life changing disease.
- Take part in a COSMIC event for Kawaski Research (just pick an event and let us know that you would like the money to go towards Kawasaki Research in the UK)
- Send us your stories and pictures to help raise awareness – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog for us – this could be about Kawasaki Disease, your experience of Kawasaki disease or your fundraising activity. Get in touch if you would like to blog.
- Organise your own event- from bake sales, to birthday donations, to running events – there are a whole host of ways you can raise money for Kawasaki Research. Below are some tools to help you do this and to raise awareness of this important disease and the need for more research.
Tools for Fundraising
- Fundraising Ideas Fundraising Ideas
- Kawaski Research Poster
- Kawaski Info leaflet
- Research Collaboration Information document
- Gift aid form Gift Aid Form
- Sponsorhip form
- Kawaski Disease Research Fund Logo
- COSMIC Logo
- Research Collaboration Logo
- Signs and Symptoms Poster
Also, if you would like to fundraise for this research project or have any further questions please do get in touch and email us at email@example.com.